Tuesday, December 12, 2006

my apartment rules

originally posted Tuesday, October 10, 2006

yesterday was a busy day. i thought it would be my first day of work, but i ended up getting to spend three hours reading an entire book whilst sitting alone in my office, then going to do some logistical bullshit for a couple hours, then getting to move into my new apartment.
in chuncheon, my apartment was cool, simply because it was the first place i had ever occupied all by my lonesome. but the new place actually has a hallway. i have my own apartment in south korea and it has a hallway. plus there's a kitchen that an actual table and microwave stand can fit it. yesterday felt like i had gotten married or bought a new house, or any other event that warrants the unveiling of tons o' kitchen and household items. there's really no finer feeling than peeling plastic off of a brand new refrigerator/washing machine/bed/ironing board/wardrobe/dvd player. after all this, i barely even noticed the dead roach on the floor. i celebrated by drinking scotch. every time i drink scotch, i'm most tickled by the fact that i am yet again attempting to be someone who drinks scotch. i'm just not. it takes me 2 hours to drink less than a shot. i know yer sposed to sip it, but come on.
anyhoo, today was my first official day of teaching. so i went to my office early in the morning and got to dick around on a computer for about 3 hours. then i got a long patronizing lecture on how to bow correctly and how the way i left my bowl after eating lunch was rude. i really don't have any problem with these subtle cultural nuances--in fact, i have wholeheartedly embraced them in the past--but when i'm addressed like a 5 year old, it makes it a little irritating. but then i went to teach and was greeted by at least 25 1st and 2nd graders. sweet, vonage! the first thing i did was have them try to locate los estados unidos and south korea. no one knew. it was very funny. there were some kids that didn't believe me when i said that no, we weren't in tanzania. so if you want an activity that will really stump a whole classroom, just take out a map. oh yeah, and everyone kept calling me mexican. i think that's pretty funny. they wanted it to be offensive, but offended i was not. dude, selena was hot.
anyhoo, so far so good. i think some soju drinking is long overdue. i must tend to that.

No comments: