Monday, November 19, 2007

the face of the earth, and how i've fallen off it.

i sort of feel like i've fallen off the face of the earth. i guess i should have taken preventative measures... i think i'm living a different, extremely isolated version of korea than most other foreigners, most notably when one considers the fact that i live in a suburb of seoul, thus having lots of foreigners with whom to associate, should i take it upon myself to do so. but i have definitely failed in that regard. i guess 6 days a week as the only foreigner at my school would be a logical place to point one of my two pointer fingers, but beyond my job, i just haven't felt very social as of late. the only people i see with any regularity are my students. is this totally pathetic or totally cool? i think i know the answer...

the idea of "trying to make friends" as a 28 (almost 29) year old human just seems really fucking lame to me, very high school. it sort of felt that way in suncheon, too--cliquey. i guess i need an attitude adjustment, but i'm not really into those, either. hmmmm...

i should note, i feel completely ambivalent about my antisociality. it makes me neither happy nor sad, as it is a mere fact in my brain right now.

oh, i went to a palace today. it was quite possibly the coolest thing i've seen in korea. also, it was really fucking cold outside during my touristy excursion. jacket weather is over, party people. we've moved into full-on coat season.

1 comment:

Dave said...

I think I know exactly how you feel about being antisocial. I have friends, but they are all married and busy with their lives. I rarely spend time with them. I associate with people at work, but we don't hang out afterwards. Oh well. At least you don't have to deal with stateside bullshit.